Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Acceptance: Pirene's Fountain

Pirene’s Fountain took four of my poems! This is a great honor because they are quite discerning in the most lyrical and lovely way. The last poet they took four poems from was J.P. Dancing Bear in their current issue. He’s a major voice--mythic, innovative, spiritual, precise--whom I greatly admire. His style, efficient yet evocative, is one I try to emulate.

Some of my favorite recent poems of J.P. Dancing Bear, in addition to those in Pirene’s Fountain, are here:

Dancing Bear in PF

Dancing Bear in Diode


Trivia sidebar: Long ago, I was published alongside J.P. Dancing Bear, in the now classic issue #3 of Arsenic Lobster, which was then edited by the inimitable Jen Hawkins. I don’t think I have ever been published in his proximity again. :(

In addition to hosting amazing writers, both new and accomplished, Pirene’s Fountain wins my highly coveted and rarely proffered Owl Trophy for Exceptional Friendliness. This trophy, which is unfortunately virtual and imaginary, is pure moonsilver, with an intricate filigree of hammered stars, gilded mice, and a few platinum boluses to boot.

Seriously, though, the people at PF are generous and warm. There’s a whole team brimming with zest. My last email from them was signed “Ami, Oli, Charles, Lark and Tony.” If you visit the guidelines, you’ll see that they go out of their way to be hospitable.

What a gift in this day and age.

As a bona fide misanthrope, I can only shake my head in abject awe at the grace of these wonderful editors. Being nice, or even polite, to neurotic bards is not easy: it requires extra work because you tend to get more inquiries, plus the occasional grouch who exists to dowse anyone who extends a ray of sun.

Rounding out this miniature panegyric, I feel I must mention the aesthetic exuberance of the site design. You feel like dancing it up as soon as your eyes hit the page. Currently a trio of lively instruments (saxophone, harp, and violin) adorn the foyer.

There is also a dash of melancholy, which could be said to embody the journal's motto: a short recap of the Greek myth of the naiad Pirene.

You WILL enjoy the poetry in this journal (no that's not a command, but it wouldn't be so bad if it was, would it?). I highly recommend immersing yourself in PF's waters of luscious eloquence.


OWL

1 comment: