Midnight On the Bridge
near a dunce-cap cone of light
an occasional car
slingshots down bottomless
highway,
the drivers not urgent
to find out how roofs
fell to populate the earth:
how some noble ideal had crowded itself
and shattered.
a mind is a molecule,
the city thick with them. so many swarm
that only collective purpose
combines to matter.
the chemical pulls
that bond us in grids
are also the traps that encase us
alone.
you can write about it on paper, on your arm,
in blood, or into the ghost-ocean of a screen.
god did this
for a reason,
you could state.
but the ekg
that the angels watch,
while listening to prayers,
is the New York Stock Exchange.
======================================
This poem was originally published in Halfway Down the Stairs in 2014. I am republishing past poems for I feel it could all end soon. I am old. I am experiencing grief at the steep decline of the USA. My heart literally twangs, now and then. And I have no money or insurance to see a doctor.

No comments:
Post a Comment