Inferno
to heal the wound
he had to find a crypt
in a hurt place.
had to dig
through silt and shit
and childish striae,
and not cripple
the ladders in his pain.
there would be massacres
in written bones,
and nightmarish mineshafts.
tears would bleed,
make love to lies
worse than the original ache.
he would have to swim
like a darter that became
a bat in the pulse of
an oryx inside a tiger.
no Valkyrie, no Beatrice,
no golden thread.
there
would be cannibals that
bit groins, smallpox boiling
in his daughter’s canthus.
there would be red ants
in the coffers of his love,
and other worst fears
he could not survive.
he took out a piece of his heart
and dangled it down trapdoors
as demon bait.
===============================
This poem was originally published in Danse Macabre in 2012. I am going to start re-publishing poems published in the past on this blog. Why? A big part of it is the potential end of the US as I knew it, and my concern that I will be incarcerated. I am, too, in my 60s, and could die of natural causes, exacerbated by grief and anxiety at the loss of the country I knew all my life.
Expect more poems like this, and so a bit of a different poetic voice--who I was ten or more years ago.
====
Additionally, on this particular poem, it is in the vein of a shamanic awakening to the spirit world. But it is also about primal, ethical agony.

No comments:
Post a Comment