Saturday, January 23, 2021

Poem: Taken Pebble

 

Taken Pebble

 

quartz-laced pebbles

roll to and fro

as bully waves leave wet bruises

that shine.

 

the slow bleed of stubborn minerals

doesn’t care.  won’t distinguish

forces gradual and murderous

from a window sill.

 

taken, then,

 

from comber to trinket,

perched close to a desk,

to hobnob with fossils

and a few shells.

 

once harried and fretted,

now a staid ornament,

embossed over steady seasons

with all-too-human dust.



=====================



2 comments:

  1. This is excellent and reminds me of a pebble I picked from a beach many years ago on an island I've not visited since, which I more recently feel i should just put back where it came from....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I don't know! We humans are such short-lived ego-filled centers. I have some fossils here, so .. linking to my orbit specific beings that lived millions of years ago.

    ReplyDelete