Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mannequin Envy Errata!!!

In a previous post I praised Patrick Carrington, the Poetry Editor at Mannequin Envy; and I should have, because he's a phenomenal poet and a fine editor. Go to the site and check it out, and you'll see what I mean: http://www.mannequinenvy.com/

However, what I idiotically failed to do was mention the Editor in Chief, Jennifer VanBuren. Let me repeat, this was an idiotic omission on my part. All I can say is that starting a new blog is fraught with opportunities to do stupid things and fall flat on your face.

VanBuren is a superlative poet as well as an editorial impresario. She's been published in some of the same journals I have, classics like Poems Niederngasse, Lily Lit Review and Word Riot, plus some other fantastic mags like FRIGG and Eclectica, and many more.

But back to Mannequin Envy. This journal is truly outstanding and has earned a justified reputation for excellence, and VanBuren is the adroit captain at the helm.

If you're wondering what the story is behind the mysterious and intriguing choice of "Mannequin Envy" as a name for a topnotch lit zine, here is VanBuren's elucidating and eloquent explanation, from the Summer 2009 issue. I guarantee it will make you think deep thoughts:

"There are times when I wish I could re-name this publication. Times when people think Mannequin Envy is about being jealous of the perfection represented in the mannequin's form. Instead, I think of Mannequin Envy as the expression of why the mannequin should envy us. Us with our wrinkles and birthmarks, scar tissue and ticklish spots. Us with our character weakness, poor life choices, immortality, suffering. Why should they wish to break from the illusion of perfection? Read this journal, through the authenticity of voice and brush and you will see, hopefully, why the mannequins envy us."

If that isn't an engaging and absorbing bit of literary philosophy, nothing is. It almost makes me glad to be a foible-infested human.

So, please, GO READ MANNEQUIN ENVY. And when you do, thank Jennifer VanBuren for making it happen.

Chagrined OWL out.

No comments:

Post a Comment