Saturday, August 3, 2024

Moving statement by Anne Lamott

 Anne Lamott:

Many elderly friends have what I call the chime. It is a vibrating energy that certain artistic and spiritual people exude, as do people with a basic spirit of generosity. Almost silent, the chime rings like a tiny triangle off in the expanse. The chime is life and is in all of us, but it tends to be muffled until much of the clamor and hustle of existence quiets down. I hear it most often in the elderly, whose days are quieter, who gladly ruminate and gaze out windows a lot. They may appear frail, but there is strength in this fragility.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/08/01/old-people-fragility-strength


Lamott's article inspired me with its light.  Elderly people are incredibly strong and smart to survive--and find meaning and magic, joy and virtue, even amid their many physical pains and mental declines.

Lamott talks lovingly and edifyingly about her 'gang of grans,' her groups of friends, many of whom are elderly.  When reading her words, I realized that this probably won't be my path as I age.  I'm an isolated introvert with constant spikes of intense emotion, including rage (though Adrienne Rich has been called a poet "of towering rage."  Rage can be  a fantastic fuel for art and justice).   I do find meaning and stormy togetherness, with my muses and spirit guides.  They can put up with me.  I do my best to let them express, through my writing, in passion, love, outrage and beauty. 

But, yes, as I too start to grow old, I realize how difficult a journey it can be, the physical pain, mental decline, and psychological effects.  One has to actively focus on the miraculous side of things; to find the joy and purpose; to seek the Good, even as one's body becomes less active and able, more liable to suffer.  

It's a heroic journey.  One of the obstacles is loneliness.   

Lamott includes this quote from Ursula Le Guin:  


We are not great powers.  But we are the light.



===============

No comments:

Post a Comment