Sunday, April 23, 2023

Poem: Invisible Man

 

Invisible Man

 

the perpetual noneness

is what hurts,

static eroding

stones by the sea.

 

except they are my

feelings, desperately

clutched, elbows crossed

till a pharoah became

a wasp nest.

 

who looks? who sleuths?

was i murdered even though

i still breathe?  am i

 

the postage stamp on unsent hopes;

and why do i break apart

when i run from this cemetery,

 

my skin fluttering off, mothy,

before i get out?

 

if only god

would track me down,

aim for my vague

adam’s apple.

many times i’ve been

the mist in his breath.

 

i wish he would find out.

i wish he would care.



=====================================








4/24 ... patriarchal 'he' ... captures the speaker's upbringing (?) 

10/23   "wasp nest" replaces "wasps' nest"


This is from my chapbook, Gordian Butterflies, which is probably still on the web somewhere.


It is dedicated to my brother Gudger Crittenden.

No comments:

Post a Comment