Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Acceptance: Hidden Animals

-----


Visit Hidden Animals


Hidden Animals attracted my attention with its title. It made me think of the shamanism hidden in our everyday mental processes. Barbara Kingsolver writes, “We live our whole lives around disguised animal thoughts.”

Once I visited the site, I liked the feel. The anonymous and humble editor(s) had done something right. This is a new zine, but cautious and perceptive. They are not trying to take the poetry world by churning out a number of issues quickly. The work is carefully chosen, and represents some well-known names, as well as soaring pieces by lesser known bards.

My guess is that Hidden Animals is a labor of love by those who are not doing this for social reward in any significant measure; but instead through a deep-seated draw to the elemental beauty at the nexus of semantics and symbols: the pure raison d'ĂȘtre of the craft. They find reward and magic in uncovering, via rarest word songs, the “disgused animal thoughts” we orbit in our routinized ways.

On the humble nature of the staff, the best I could do as far as identifying them was to find the name “Eric K” as the signature on the preface to the first issue. Noble, indeed.

I’m deeply honored to be part of this discerning journal’s journey, so glad that “Python,” “Colder Inside,” and “Perimeter View” will be appearing in a future issue.

This truly helps my heart as I wander the wending and sometimes forlorn road of the muses.


Owl


-----

No comments:

Post a Comment