Tuesday, January 12, 2021

My Thoughts and Feelings Right Now

 

My thoughts and feelings right now.  With the ransacking of the Capitol, we enter a new phase of the fascist uprising.  Awareness of the threat--finally--seems to have sunk in with the mainstream.  For years, the mainstream normalized Trump.  There is still the foolish  use of “conservative" to describe his followers.  This needs to be changed to an accurate adjective.  Say, “authoritarian.”  Immediately.

In all my 57 years, nothing ever like this.  Capitol not ransacked since 1814, and then by a foreign force (the British).  My initial elation that the traitorous mob was repelled (also, of course, the Democrats won the Senate, and Trump lost the election) has given way to a deeper realization that one of the most hallowed buildings of the United States Government has been defiled.  I myself am a victim of sexual abuse; and so I feel I can say, with great sincerity, that this feels like a rape.  I've been triggered.  Everything I thought was solid--my moor, my trust, my basic framework--now violated. Rendered ugly.  Destabilized.

A scary, scary time ensues.  Because the fascist mob successfully penetrated the Seat of the People, and hasn’t suffered that much for it, not yet, they will try again.  Next time they will be more organized.  Bolder.  Guns.  And thanks to the internet, attacks can be planned anywhere in the United States.  The odds of this escalating into lethal-weapon skirmishes are high.

I don’t think anything will quell this mob mentality now except, at minimum, incarceration or very heavy sanction/fines.  En masse.  Also, it is extremely important to shore up the loyalty of the police and military. 

A good, honest message:  Defend freedom, or descend into anarchy, destroying the greatness of your 214-year-old republic.  The control of thousands of nuclear weapons is at stake.

My prediction is that the republic will survive, but wounded.  There will most likely be a split in the GOP, leading to the existence of a White Nationalist Party, such as exists in at least 19 European countries:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36130006

This is sad, indeed.  The best way to counter fascist fanaticism is (a) therapeutic education, (b) reduce corruption through Robin Hood-style governance (take from the rich, spread the wealth through the people).  How much the USA can do this will determine, well, probably the fate of civilization.

Although I predict survival of the republic, I could well be wrong.  What happens in the near future depends on vicissitudes and dice throws.  If factions of the military or police defect, full-on civil war looms.  And then doomsday scenarios are possible (again, thousands of nuclear weapons, from submarines to silos).

The best way to deal with the stress is to focus on day-to-day.  Find beauty, find happiness, in specific moments.  Isolate and be in those moments.  Make time to shut out all the noise and just retreat into your own recreational, meditational or relaxation mode, whatever that entails.

There are miracles everywhere.  For instance, when I am washing dishes, I sometimes marvel at the amazing properties and lovely fluid magic of H20.  Simple water.  

Immersive activities are good for longer escapes.  For me, this is writing, reading, gaming, hiking, or other exercise.  And yes, Netflix.  Do your thing.

However, everyone should take this seriously.   To US citizens:  Your freedom and republic are in peril as never before, since the civil war.  Take care of yourself, but FIND SOME WAY TO FIGHT.  I don’t mean physical battle (though if you are law enforcement, yes).  I am not advocating violence.  Use your words.  Use your status in society, your job, whatever it is, to send messages, whether blatant or subtle, whatever seems best.  Pick your battles and strategies.  But strive.  Do something.  Fight.

This is it.  Step up.  If you don’t, your country, the USA, will become a fascist dictatorship under Donald Trump.

Fly Well In The Dark,

OWL

 

=============

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post, I've been very concerned by what's happening in the US. Relieved that Biden won but I've read opinion pieces that point out that what Trump and his supporters have done is similar to how Hitler started his rise to power. I hope you are right that the Republic will survive.

    On a lighter note, I just discovered Netflix during the first lockdown and there's so much good viewing there!

    Hope you're well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you! Your energy has always inspired me, it is the kind of energy we need.

    ReplyDelete